Chicken, Mushroom and Leek With Rice
45g protein, 10g fat, 37g carbs
3g organic butter, ghee or coconut oil
100g leeks, sliced into 5mm thick pieces
100g cauliflower (grated)
100g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
120g fresh chicken breast, diced
(or use a vegetarian chicken replacement)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
125ml unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp dried oregano
40g white or wholegrain basmati rice
1) Melt the butter, ghee or oil in a large non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté gently for around 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft. Add the mushrooms and cauliflower and sauté gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
2) Add the chicken to the pan and cook for around 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until brown on all sides.
3) Add the vegetables back into the pan, mix with the chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Add the almond milk and oregano. Mix well to combine.
4) Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, then check. If the mixture seems dry, add more almond milk, and stir well. Continue to cook, covered for a further 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
5) Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and add the rice. For timings, follow the pack instructions (note: wholegrain rice takes longer than white rice). If using white rice, avoid stirring too much as this can cause the rice to become too sticky.
6) When rice is cooked, drain and leave for 2-3 minutes to stand. Serve.