3x Bolognaise Muffins
33g protein, 12g fat, 27g carbs
8g organic butter, ghee, or coconut oil
275g white onion, finely chopped
4-5 basil leaves with stalks (optional), chopped
750g extra lean steak mince (or use
low-fat vegetarian beef mince)
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
160g closed cup mushrooms, finely sliced
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
50g tomato purée
small amount of coconut oil, butter or ghee to grease muffin tins
95g organic oats
1 medium-sized free-range egg
1 egg white
First make the Bolognaise sauce:
1) Melt the butter, ghee or oil in a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Gently sauté the onion until soft. Add the basil and fry gently, stirring for 20 seconds.
2) Add the mince and cook, stirring frequently for 6-8 minutes, until brown all over. Add the garlic, green pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato purée. Season with salt and pepper and stir.
3) Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4) Preheat Oven to 175˚C/350˚F
5) Weigh out 280g of the bolognaise sauce into a large bowl. Any leftover sauce can be left to cool and frozen on the same day
6) Grease 8 Muffin tin compartments.
7) Mix together the oats, egg and egg white with the bolognaise sauce. Spoon the mixture into the 8 muffin tin compartments.
8) Bake for 30-35 minutes until cooked through. Test the centre of the muffins with a skewer. If it comes out clean, the muffins are cooked.
9) Remove the muffins from the tins and leave them to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy hot or cold.
When muffins are cool, store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze on the same day.